It's time for some honesty: all I can say is that the last three and a half weeks have been full of wonderful ups and some serious downs. We're so happy to have Nathan and we love him so much! That's the huge Up. Watching him get bigger and start to discover new things are other big Ups. We've had some real worries, the big Downs. This past week he started showing signs of reflux, practically overnight. He grunts and groans, refuses to be on his back in his crib and the scary times are when he's spitting up and seeming to struggle for air. After two sleepless nights for us in which we tried to sleep him in his carseat, I took Nathan to the doctor and his lungs are clear and insides moving, so that's great. After a weigh-in (11+ pounds!) I started to suspect that I'm overfeeding him. A visit with a lactation consultant confirmed that he is getting a ton of milk, and perhaps too much. So we've modified our feeding plan, tried to burp him a lot, and he seems to be doing much better over the last 36 hours. Combined with elevating the head of the crib mattress and side-sleeping, he's been back in his crib for two nights without the scary breathing issues. He even went a good four hours between feedings last night- what a considerate boy!

We thank you all for your support. It is wonderful to share the ups and get through the downs with you. Lots of love, Betsy and Chris
1 comment:
Hey Chris, Betsy
I just read your post. It sounds to me like you were optimizing a reaction! :)
Post a Comment